Saturday 18 August 2012

Van Persie joins United, picks No.20 jersey

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie admits the club’s chase for a 20th league title in his
debut season at Old Trafford is
the reason behind his decision to
take up the No.20 shirt.
Van Persie took part in his first
training session with new team-
mates on Friday morning after
completing his £24million move
from Arsenal on a four-year deal.
Admitting it was an “honour” to
join the Red Devils, van Persie has
followed in the footsteps of
United legend Ole Gunnar
Solskjaer by taking up the No20
shirt.
And he is hoping it will be a
good omen as United chase a
13th Premier League crown and
20th overall in the coming
season.
“I had the option of 20 or 21 and
the reason I took this shirt is
because we’re all here to be
champions this year and that
would mean a 20th league title
for Manchester United,” said van
Persie. “That’s the main reason I
took 20.”
The 29-year-old, who could make
his United debut in their Premier
League opener at Everton on
Monday night, also revealed he
spoke to compatriot Edwin van
der Sar before sealing his move
to the Theatre of Dreams.
Van Persie has also set his sights
on emulating the goalscoring
feats of another Dutchman to
become an Old Trafford legend –
fellow striker Ruud van
Nistelrooy.
“I spoke to Edwin van der Sar last
week and he was very positive
about everything. It was a good
chat and he was very open, as he
always is. He gave me a really
good feeling. He told me a lot of
very human things, just daily
stuff.
“Edwin won the Champions
League here, he won the league
here. He won almost everything
here. He’s a legend. And then you
have Ruud van Nistelrooy who
played five years here and scored
something like 150 goals here.
He had a massive impact here.
Hopefully, in my own way, I can
also have a big impact.”
Van Persie, the seventh
Dutchman to adorn the famous
red shirt, took time out to pay
tribute to former club Arsenal
with whom he spent eight years
after joining from Feyenoord in
2004.
And he says the atmosphere in
the United dressing room is
similar to that he experienced at
the Emirates Stadium.
“I was there for eight years so
that’s part of my life, it’s part of
my history. I’m proud of it.
Arsenal are a great club and I
have a very similar feeling here.
It’s very family orientated, from
the players to the staff.
Everybody’s kind and helpful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment