Tuesday 7 August 2012

Suarez signs new Liverpool contract

Luis Suarez
has signed a new long- term contract at Liverpool to end
speculation about
his immediate future,
as revealed by Goal.com earlier
on Tuesday.
The news comes just 24 hours
after Suarez teamed up with new
manager Brendan Rodgers for
the first time at training
following Uruguay’s exit from the
Olympics at the group stage.
The striker has been recently
linked with a move to Juventus
after the Serie A champions’
attempts to lure Edinson Cavani
from Napoli appeared to stall –
but this latest development
brought an end to such rumours.
“To sign a new contract with
Liverpool is unbelievable for me
because I am so happy here at
both the club and also in the city.
That is very important for me,”
Suarez told the club’s official
website.
“When you are a kid, everybody
wants to play for Liverpool. I am
here now and it is a dream for
me, and now I am a Liverpool
fan.
“I am happy off the pitch
because the people of Liverpool
are good with me and my family.
I try my best on the pitch and
when you are happy off the
pitch, you are happy on the pitch.
“I want to say thank you to the
fans because they are our 12th
player. The supporters of
Liverpool are unbelievable. Five
or six years ago I watched on TV
the stadium and the club, and
now I play here and the
supporters have helped me.
That’s very important for me.”
Manager Brendan Rodgers
added, “I’m delighted. When you
have the opportunity to work
with world-class players it’s
fantastic.
“There were certainly a few clubs
who were interested in him but
over the off-season he and I
communicated well – and he’s
committed himself for the long
term here now.
“He’s really looking forward to
playing in this way of working.
As a manager and for the
supporters, I’m delighted
because I know how important
he is for them.”
Suarez signed a five-and-a-half
year contract when he joined
Liverpool from Ajax in January
2011 but his new agreement is
expected to bring his pay in line
with the club’s highest earners
such as Steven Gerrard, Pepe
Reina and Glen Johnson.
Footage emerged on Tuesday of
the club’s TV channel appearing
to accidentally broadcast news
that the Uruguayan had signed a
new deal.
The ‘LFC Now – 60 second news’
bulletin led with the words:
“Liverpool today confirmed Luis
Suarez has signed a new long-
term contract with the club.
“The Uruguayan forward
committed his future to the Reds
by putting pen to paper on a deal
on Tuesday afternoon.
“Following his involvement at the
Olympics with Uruguay, Suarez
returned to Melwood on…”
The broadcast then halted,
revealing a holding screen
apologising for a temporary fault,
however, the club went on to
later confirm the Uruguayan’s
new deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment